Hemorrhoid is a condition wherein there’s growth of tissue on the anal canal. The tissue may contain blood vessels and fragments of the affected surrounding.
It’s a common condition of people who suffer from chronic constipation and women who are pregnant. There are several causes of hemorrhoids but these occur due to pressure build-up on the vessels causing them to become big and obstruct the canal.
Depending on their size and location, it causes discomfort, pain and sometime bleeding. There are several treatment options that can cure hemorrhoids.
Treatments For Hemorrhoids
- Swelling of the anal canal is a normal manifestation. You can feel that your anus is full and painful after moving your bowels. To relieve the discomfort, applying ice pack on the area works. This is effective for small and nonbleeding hemorrhoids. The cold will decrease the swelling of the blood vessels making the hemorrhoids shrink.
- Another way to reduce the size of hemorrhoids fast is to use creams or topical applications. Witch hazel is an effective natural treatment that can help soothe the area and minimize hemorrhoids. This is good for external small hemorrhoids. Your doctor might prescribe you hydrocortisone creams. These are effective in relieving symptoms of hemorrhoids like itchiness, pain and swelling. If pain is the complaint, taking pain relievers could totally help.
- Non severe hemorrhoids are usually managed with medications. There are specific medications to control minimal bleeding if it exists and to decrease the size of hemorrhoids. Depending on your case, your doctor might give oral and suppository medicines.
- When hemorrhoids are severe and it can’t be improved with medications and applications, a rubber band ligation may be the option. This procedure is recommended for people with internal hemorrhoids that cause a great deal of discomfort. This procedure is done by tying a rubber band on the hemorrhoids to stop the flow of blood into the swollen and affected vessels. Without blood flow, the hemorrhoids will die and will just fall off.
- In severe cases, surgery is indicated. Hemorrhoidectomy is the procedure in removing the hemorrhoid. This is usually done when there’s continuous bleeding, uncontrolled pain, the hemorrhoids have become big or it has affected the surround anal area. It’s a fast procedure done by your doctor. All the preparations for surgery are done since it’s an invasive procedure. Recovery is fast after although you’ll be dealing with minimal pain due to the incision. Not everyone is fit for hemorrhoidectomy. Before deciding whether surgery is necessary, you’ll be assessed physically, mentally and emotionally if you could benefit from the procedure.
All these are currently practiced in treating hemorrhoids. It’s not a severe condition and it can be totally cured once discovered. Prevention is always best in dealing with hemorrhoids.
Avoid any instances that pressure might build on your anal blood vessels. Once hemorrhoids appear, treat them immediately to stop them from growing.
Depending on their quality, your doctor would know best how to cure it.